A #HeartTruth with Alli England

We all know that healthy lifestyle choices are an important part of caring for our hearts. High blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high blood sugar are some of the main risk factors for heart disease. A healthy diet, physical activity, managing stress, and quitting smoking can all help to keep them in check, but it’s critical to know your numbers. The only way to know if you have high blood pressure or cholesterol is to have it tested.

Bobcat Alli England (Facilities Planning, Design and Construction) shares her #HeartTruth about the importance of preventive care, working with health care providers, and knowing your numbers.

“I was stunned when I received my diagnosis at the age of 47. I was referred to a cardiologist after having lab work. At that time, it had been several years since I took the time to see a doctor and check my blood. My total cholesterol was 334 and my LDL (the bad cholesterol) was 232. I was referred to a Cardiologist and was given the diagnosis of Familial Hypercholesteremia. My dangerously high cholesterol combined with my family history (my father passed away from a massive heart attack at age 44) equated to a genetic disorder. After further testing, it was discovered I already had a moderate amount of plaque buildup in my LAD (Left Anterior Descending Artery). I was told had I not gone to the doctor for blood work, it would only be about five years before a major heart attack.

Familial Hypercholesterolemia (FH) is a common genetic disorder affecting roughly 1 in every 250 people. It is only managed through medication. Lifestyle will not correct it, though it can exacerbated by poor choices.  With FH, the liver is incapable of recycling the cholesterol naturally produced in the body and causes very, very high levels. That cholesterol leaves fatty deposits on the walls of our arteries. After time that narrows the pathway until full obstruction. Another risk is blood forming at the site, sending a clot. Both lead right to a heart attack.

It is imperative to add routine check-ups and lab work to your wellness. And it is extremely important to get screened if cholesterol issues are present in members of your family.  Again, if it runs in the family, get checked. If you do not know your family history, get checked. Our hearts love, support, and care, so we must do the same for our hearts.”

There are lots of heart-healthy steps you can take on your own — but having trusted healthcare professionals by your side can be a big help. How can healthcare professionals support your heart health journey?

• Ask about your risk for heart attack and stroke. Your risk for heart disease depends on many things — like your age, overall health, family health history, and your lifestyle — like getting activeeating healthy, and quitting smoking.
  • Get help managing your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar. Getting and keeping your blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar numbers in a healthy range is key to preventing heart disease and stroke. Your doctor can help keep track of those numbers and work with you to keep them in a healthy range.
  • Ask about medicines. Healthy habits like eating well and being active go a long way toward better heart health. But you may also need medicines to be part of your heart health treatment plan.

Be sure to have a primary care doctor you see for regular care. Tell your doctor about your family health history, ask questions, and learn about how to manage your risk factors. And team up with Bobcats, like Alli, to take steps for better heart health by signing the Heart Month Pledge!